Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Questions about the Scratch pool directive

2010-02-03 17:55:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Questions about the Scratch pool directive
From: Richard Scobie <richard AT sauce.co DOT nz>
To: Robert Hartzell <bear AT rwhartzell DOT net>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 11:53:13 +1300
Robert Hartzell wrote:

> What I didnt expect to happen is that if a volume is moved from the
> scratch pool to another pool and then update volume from pool is run the
> RecyclePool attribute is set to *None*. That seems to contradict the
> above explanation unless that is what is meant by "modify it by hand". I
> would consider this a moderate to serious bug because I had to go back
> and manually reset the RecyclePool attribute by hand for that volume
> after updating retention times for the pool. For one volume no big
> deal... had there been a hundred volumes I would have been, well
> somewhat annoyed to say the least.

It was set to none in my case, because I had no Recycle pool set in the
Scratch pool and while setting one can fix the issue, it limits flexibility.

Consider a setup with a "Full", "Diff", "Inc" and "Scratch" pools.

I would want to set the recycle Pool entries on the first 3 to
themselves, so they return to their own pools. The scratch pool would
have no Recycle Pool.

I have a large autoloader and I add a number of tapes and using "label
barcodes", they are all added to the Scratch pool.

 From this point, each job as it runs takes a volume from the Scratch
pool and it is added to the appropriate pool and I would expect the
recycle pool for it to be the same as the pool it has moved to. With the
current version it is "None" and I have to manually edit it.

The only "Recycle Pool" entry that makes sense for the Scatch pool at
this point, to prevent "None" being entered, is "Scratch", which of
course means that all recycled volumes go back into the scatch pool, not
their own individual ones.

The only other option is to periodically check for tapes newly moved
from Scratch and modify their Recycle pool entry.

Regards,

Richard