Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Questions about the Scratch pool directive

2010-02-02 18:48:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Questions about the Scratch pool directive
From: Robert Hartzell <bear AT rwhartzell DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:46:03 -0700
On 02/ 2/10 04:08 PM, Richard Scobie wrote:
> Robert Hartzell wrote:
>
>> hmmm... looks like I need to do some testing. Do you have any volumes
>> that have been recycled and moved back to the scratch pool?
>>

> Yes. A tape that was initially labeled in the "Full" pool has been
> recycled back into Scratch and is showing "Scratch" as its recycle pool.
>
> I think this is not a bug - I have just checked my Scratch pool
> definition and I do not have a RecyclePool defined in it.
>
> So updating the existing Scratch volumes should sort this out.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

I've been reading the manual and to me its not at all clear about the
RecyclePool directive. According to the manual,

This directive is probably most useful when defined in the Scratch pool,
so that volumes will be recycled back into the Scratch pool.

Which says to me that RecyclePool should be defined in the scratch pool
and not the Full pool. Does this mean that the RecyclePool attribute is
attached to the volume when it's initially created in the Scratch pool
and remains if effect throughout its lifetime?

This seems to be opposite of what you have defined in your working
setup. Maybe I'm reading cross-eyed or something but I'm unable to
obtain a clear understanding.

Can anyone describe how exactly this directive is used?

--
   Robert W Hartzell
bear at rwhartzell.net
   RwHartzell.Net