Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Questions about the Scratch pool directive

2010-02-03 16:28:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Questions about the Scratch pool directive
From: Robert Hartzell <bear AT rwhartzell DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:25:33 -0700
On 02/ 3/10 11:09 AM, Richard Scobie wrote:
> Robert Hartzell wrote:
>
>> I know everything can be manually changed... Just trying to get a clear
>> understanding of what exactly happens to a volumes attributes as bacula
>> moves it in and out of the scratch pool.
>
> After filing the observed behaviour of a scratch volume not inheriting
> the "Recycle Pool" attribute from the pool it is joining as a bug, here
> is the official answer:
>
> "The RecyclePool is set only on Media creation, and you can only modify it
> by hand after.

In my case all new media is created in the scratch pool and RecyclePool
is set to Scratch. This is basically what I expected after looking
through the docs.

What I didnt expect to happen is that if a volume is moved from the
scratch pool to another pool and then update volume from pool is run the
RecyclePool attribute is set to *None*. That seems to contradict the
above explanation unless that is what is meant by "modify it by hand". I
would consider this a moderate to serious bug because I had to go back
and manually reset the RecyclePool attribute by hand for that volume
after updating retention times for the pool. For one volume no big
deal... had there been a hundred volumes I would have been, well
somewhat annoyed to say the least.

> If you create the Media in the Full pool, the RecyclePool will be set, this
> is not the case if you create it with your Scratch pool definition."
>
> My take on this is that it should be changed.
>
> If the Scratch pool is intended as source of volumes to be available to
> any pool, it should inherit all attributes of that pool upon joining it.
> If I see a volume is a member of "Pool X", I would expect it to behave
> the same way as the Pool X definition, not "Pool X except the Recycle
> pool may be different if this tape came from the Scratch pool".
>
> Adding a Recycle pool entry to the Scratch pool is a workaround, but is
> unflexible if you wish to use different recycle pool entries in
> different pools.

A couple of quick test shows that if a volume is moved from the Scratch
pool to another pool with a different RecyclyPool setting and update
volumes from pool is run the volumes RecyclePool attribute will be
changed to the new pools settings. If the new pool does not have a
RecyclePool directive in it the attribute is set to *None*. I think this
is an unexpected behavior.

If a volume is created in the scratch pool with the RecyclePool
attribute set then that setting should be retained unless the new pool
has a different value for RecyclePool. The RecyclePool value should
never be set to none because there is no directive specified in the new
pool.

--
   Robert W Hartzell
bear at rwhartzell.net