Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is that ok using Bacula to write on DVDs?

2009-05-06 14:11:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is that ok using Bacula to write on DVDs?
From: Wes Hardaker <wjhns222 AT hardakers DOT net>
To: alexander AT nautae.eti DOT br
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 10:47:40 -0700

a> Ok, I gave up of doing DVD writing by Bacula.

FYI, I've been doing it for 2 years or so; once it was up and running
it works fairly well.  I do save the parts to a separate folder after
writing them to the DVD just to make sure, but most of the time they
just get deleted.  Occasionally an older disk will fail to burn properly
and I either need to hard-burn the parts (again) to the disk or simply
mark the disk as bad in the pool and let bacula recover based on
that knowledge.

a> I'm not confident about using removable usb disk because it's not a
a> safe made media. Of course DVD too, but I think DVDs are more reliable
a> than usb disk, there isn't electricity to read the data.

DVDs are likely less reliable than any form of external disk.  That
being said, external disks are still more than a stack of DVDs.
Eventually you'll spend as much as an external disk though.  DVDs don't
handle writing to them a huge number of times, so eventually they go bad
and need to be thrown away (eventually just from scratches, no matter
*how* careful I try to be).

The biggest problem in my book is that I don't want the external disk
spinning while I'm awake for noise reasons; I'd need a power-up/down
before/after the backup.