Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is that ok using Bacula to write on DVDs?

2009-05-07 15:13:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is that ok using Bacula to write on DVDs?
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 12:05:37 -0700
Wes Hardaker wrote:

>>> DVDs are likely less reliable than any form of external disk.
>>>

> a> Are you sure about that?
>
> a> I'm not using DVD-RW, just DVD-R.
>
> Ah, I didn't realize that.  I had been assuming that you were rewriting
> existing disks.
>
> DVD-R's are much better for longevity (I believe) than DVD-RWs.  That
> being said, the recently shown life expectancy of a DVD-R is somewhere
> on the order of 5 years.  [Though I don't know what percentage of failure
> they're using to define that timing mark]

I believe this is actually very old data going back to the earlier CD
days. It wasn't so much research-based but empirical; they found that
stains had formed within the material itself and the plastic had
developed cracks (similar to aircraft windows). These problems are
actually supposed to have been resolved with improved media.

Still, 5 years is probably a good number to go with unless we have
better data.
> In theory, I'd actually trust solid state drives better (like USB
> drives) more than disks or DVDs because there are less moving parts.

In theory. USB sticks actually can wear out pretty fast. An individual
flash memory cell only survives approximately 100,000 write cycles,
which is not a lot if you think about it. Solid state disks are more
reliable because they use redundancy and are able to detect and replace
failed memory cells.

That's why I would probably trust a DVD more than solid-state.
Ultimately, though, all media fails. Tapes wear out, too.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.