Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is that ok using Bacula to write on DVDs?

2009-05-07 11:39:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is that ok using Bacula to write on DVDs?
From: Bernd Plagge <bplagge AT choicenet.ne DOT jp>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 00:31:36 +0900

Hello,

years ago I did use DVD's for backups.
However, I used DVD RAMs which you can use like a HDD.

There are 2 problems with this:
1) it is SLOW
2) you run into problems if you need more than 1 DVD

- From a technical viewpoint you can solve (2) with some autochanger scripts
like:
 - show message that DVD is full
 - eject it
 - wait for a new DVD
 - then continue

Well, unless you are in charge of the backup you will never get other people to
reliably change DVD's.
Once you need 4-5 DVD's you are busy with checking DVD for most of the day.

The solution was to get a 1 TB USB drive (for bit more than 100 USD).

Cheers,
Bernd

On Wed, 06 May 2009 06:14:27 +0000
bacula-users-request AT lists.sourceforge DOT net wrote:

> Message: 18
> Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 13:15:39 -0600
> From: alexander AT nautae.eti DOT br
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is that ok using Bacula to write on DVDs?
> To: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
> Cc: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
>
> > I can only subscribe to John comment & recommandation.
> > You certainly would have a better experience with pool on disk even
> > on removable usb disk
> > There's not so expensive this days.
>
> Ok, I gave up of doing DVD writing by Bacula.
>
> I'll use disk volumes and burn the DVD after that.
>
> I'm not confident about using removable usb disk because it's not a
> safe made media. Of course DVD too, but I think DVDs are more reliable
> than usb disk, there isn't electricity to read the data.
>
> What do you think?
>
> If you don't have a tape device and need something reliable, what
> solution would you use?
>
> []'s
> Alexander

- --
Bernd Plagge - プラゲ ベェアント
First Choice Internet Ltd., Tokyo - ファースト・チョイス・インターネット(有)