Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is that ok using Bacula to write on DVDs?

2009-05-06 14:53:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is that ok using Bacula to write on DVDs?
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 20:47:33 +0200
alexander AT nautae.eti DOT br wrote:
>> a> Ok, I gave up of doing DVD writing by Bacula.
>> FYI, I've been doing it for 2 years or so; once it was up and running
>> it works fairly well.
>
> Good to know. In fact I just gave up for a moment. I have to replace my
> backup script, and it have to be a professional solution, so that
> another guy won't need to learn about my personal script, for example if
> I die or get fired.
>

>> a> I'm not confident about using removable usb disk because it's not a
>> a> safe made media. Of course DVD too, but I think DVDs are more reliable
>> a> than usb disk, there isn't electricity to read the data.
>> DVDs are likely less reliable than any form of external disk.
>
> Are you sure about that?
>
> I'm not using DVD-RW, just DVD-R.
>
> I burn a huge amount of DVD-R for the full backup (every six month) and
> one DVD-R per week for the incremental backup (the DVD is burned daily
> and at Friday I replace the media).
>
> I feel more comfortable knowing that DVD-R doesn't use electricity to
> read the data.
>
> Ok, tape does, but tapes are made to safe data storage.
>
> DVDs are made to mass data distribution. USB data sticks are made just
> to move data from a place to another.
>
> These two cases are less reliable in its concepts, but I think because
> DVDs doesn't use electricity or any other mechanical/electronic stuff,
> they can be more reliable.

Sorry but to read or write dvd you need electric & mechanicals devices.
What about to write thousand dvd with a drive having a defective laser, that
could only be detected when the dvd reading
is try on another drive.

> I really don't know. If you have a strong argument in favor of USB data
> sticks, please, tell me, burning DVDs is a terrible boring task.

I don't speak about usb stick (really usb stick suck most of the time and have
a limited number of write )
I'm speaking about real hardrive but connected with usb2 ( hotplug, easy,
reliable ) most of time 3 to 5 years warranty
and take little place. Even more most off them could run aes256 encryption
(which is needed if exported outside)

like this one
http://www.maxtor.com/en/hard-drive-backup/external-drives/maxtor-onetouch-4-mini.html
just usb powered no external surge, doesn't take place and are very quiet with
energy efficient (sleep & wake up)

500Go is around 106 DVD : sure it would take more place than one disk :-)
(don't forget the dvd drive also ...)

But the most important is to said that external disks concept is easy to setup
with bacula.
DVD has some trouble with the lastest version ( As previously mentionned on the
thread )

After it's a choice of taste & colors :-)

Just try to use what you feel most comfortable with, or can . ( With DVD I have
to wake up 3 times by night to store the daily
backup ... And blue-ray is just too much expensive like tape. So I choose
harddrive, and yes server are not in my sleeping room
:-)))
)

> []'s
> Alexander