Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is that ok using Bacula to write on DVDs?

2009-05-06 02:23:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is that ok using Bacula to write on DVDs?
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 08:15:29 +0200
alexander AT nautae.eti DOT br wrote:
>> I can only subscribe to John comment & recommandation.
>> You certainly would have a better experience with pool on disk even on
>> removable usb disk
>> There's not so expensive this days.
>
> Ok, I gave up of doing DVD writing by Bacula.
>
> I'll use disk volumes and burn the DVD after that.
>
> I'm not confident about using removable usb disk because it's not a safe
> made media. Of course DVD too, but I think DVDs are more reliable than
> usb disk, there isn't electricity to read the data.
>
> What do you think?
>
> If you don't have a tape device and need something reliable, what
> solution would you use?
>
> []'s
> Alexander
> Brazil - Rio de Janeiro

Over the past 5 years I'm using removable media in fact it's normal disk
plugged into a usb adpater which support 2'5 and 3'5
disk. I've a pata version and now a sata.

You're right on the reliable facts. My process include a double format with
ext3 (for the moment) with check bad sectors.
After that at minimal there's a read test on the media twice a years.

For archival process, I'm in the way of constant migration (that's would said
I'm migrating the data from media to other media)
cd or dvd if written at high-speed have tendancy to become unreadable or loose
some bits of data after 5 to 10 years.

So my backups/archival data are moving (started long time ago with TR-4 travan
tapes to dds 3 & 4, to disks)
To my opinion (and my volume of data for an overall +- 4TB ) disks are the most
simple/cheaper pro GB : there's no need to have
another mechanical systems to get my data. I have to observe when I need to
move from one tech to another ( pata -> sata for
example )
It take less place in the safe at the bank.

Oh there's another point, I always keep the data on a second drive ( different
manuf. ) at another location too.

The choice of technology are very subject to change. I know that some of bacula
users have to use library due to the volume of
data they need to save. But if you firstly thing about DVD I don't thing you
have such needs ;-)

--

     Bruno Friedmann

Ioda-Net Sàrl
  2830 Vellerat - Switzerland

  Tél : ++41 32 435 7171
  Fax : ++41 32 435 7172
  gsm : ++41 78 802 6760
  www.ioda-net.ch

 Centre de Formation et de Coaching En Ligne
 www.cfcel.com