BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Connection failed, nt status bad network name - Solved

2013-03-12 16:25:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Connection failed, nt status bad network name - Solved
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:23:40 -0500
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Jeff Boyce <jboyce AT meridianenv DOT com>
wrote:

> The initial symptoms of the problem I was having was showing that backuppc
> was showing ping failures to the network host name, and a message of
> NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME.  This led me to believe that I had a bad name
> resolution setup on my network.  That was not the case, and the message that
> backuppc provides stating that ping to host have failed, is clearly a lie,
> and as a result is very misleading when trying to diagnose the true problem.

> In my research I saw references to invoking backuppc from the command line
> to get more verbose error.  So I tried that, and saw that pings were
> actually succeeding, even though the web interface was continuing to show
> the ping failure error rate climbing.

Was this before or after changing the DHCP option?   I don't see any
nmblookup attempt here.

> bash-4.1$ /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_dump -f -v jab-opti755
>
> cmdSystemOrEval: about to system /bin/ping -c 1 -w 3 jab-opti755
>
> cmdSystemOrEval: finished: got output PING jab-opti755.mei.lan
> (192.168.112.125) 56(84) bytes of data.
>
> 64 bytes from jab-opti755.mei.lan (192.168.112.125): icmp_seq=1 ttl=128
> time=0.125 ms

> In the end I made one change to the host configuration file, and one change
> to the server configuration file.  The host change that I made was the dhcp
> flag. I unchecked the box (dhcp=0).  This change eliminated the bad network
> name error, but did not resolve the issue.  Instead it just showed a new
> network error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.  This indicated to me that somewhere
> there was a permissions problem.
>
> Searching through Google results on this showed a lot of discussion about
> removing the -N flag from the SmbClientFullCmd line in the main
> configuration file.  Since many of the discussions were several years old,
> and primarily addressing Ubuntu and Debian distributions I was a little
> skeptical that it would work, since I am running CentOS6.  But, I made that
> one change to remove the -N flag from the smbclient command, and my backup
> now starts,
>
> It looks like maybe the smbclient -N flag should be removed from the stock
> configuration file if it is affecting all the distributions.

Whether you need it or not depends on the version of smbclient on your
backuppc server.   I thought the packaged versions were changing the
defaults to match the corresponding systems.   If there were any
development on the base system it probably should be changed there now
- but none has happened for a while.