BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to force full backups on weekends?

2011-04-13 14:08:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to force full backups on weekends?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 13:07:01 -0500
On 4/13/2011 12:54 PM, Jake Wilson wrote:
> In order to minimize cpu load on our servers at the office, I'd like to
> make sure that the full backups only occur on the weekends.  Is there a
> straightforward way to accomplish this in the interface or do I need to
> go the cron job route?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Schedule_Backups_With_Cron
>
> It sounds like it's better to allow BackupPC to choose when the back
> things up... but how does it decide?  How does it know what is the best
> time?
>
> I've also noticed that when I add a new host to the config, lets say on
> a Wednesday afternoon, the full backups for that server always seem to
> occur on Wednesday nights.  It would be nice to set up the config so
> that the full backups happen on Friday or Saturday nights, but does that
> mean that I need to manually add those servers into the config on Friday
> or Saturday afternoon?  Or can I just schedule it somehow?

You can just go to the web interface and force a full at approximately
the time you'd like it to run.  The next full won't happen until the
fullperiod time expires (and you have a wakeup, and aren't in the
blackout interval, and aren't don't all allowed concurrent runs...). If
you are set for weekly fulls, starting one when you leave work on a
Friday might be close enough.