BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines

2010-04-21 11:51:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines
From: Josh Malone <jmalone AT nrao DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:49:45 -0400
When I did this last time I just used dump (on Linux).

mke2fs -j /dev/newdisk
mount /dev/newdisk /mnt/newdisk
ummount /dev/olddisk
cd /mnt/newdisk
dumpe2fs -a0f - /dev/olddisk | restore -rf -

 <go get some coffee... and a bagel... and wait some more>

rm restoresymtable
cd /
umount /mnt/newdisk

There - /dev/newdisk now has all your data. You can also run some tricks
to dump over the network by piping the output of dump into ssh, nc, etc.
Just pipe the output of "nc -l" into "restore -rf -" in the proper
directory on the new machine.

Something like "dump -a0f - | ssh root@remotemachine (cd /newpath; restore
-rf -)" should also work, but check
me on the pipe-into-subshell bit. Haven't tried it before -- I always just
mount the old disk on the new machine.

-Josh

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone AT nrao DOT edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263         www.cv.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)
BOFH excuse #360:

Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.