BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines

2010-04-21 01:05:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 06:03:08 +0100
On Tuesday 20 April 2010 23:22:47 Les Mikesell wrote:
> This is discussed by about every new user on the mail list, but the
> short answer is that there is not a good way to do it.  Rsync will work
> but will take a very long time.   Another approach is to image-copy the
> partition, then expand the filesystem on the new disk.  That would be
> faster but takes some obscure commands.  Or there is this approach:
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Move_backup_
> data which is somewhere in between.

I am currently in the process of doing this in two steps:

1. Moving the cpool to a partition with LVM, so as to be able to make snapshot
binary backups in future.

2. Copying the snapshot over the network to a backup server.

I'll blog it soon and post here.  In short, the fastest way to duplicate your
pool is: dd if=/dev/partition1 of=/dev/partition2

Regards,
Tyler

--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great
pleasure."