BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines

2010-04-21 09:00:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 07:58:22 -0500
Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 April 2010 23:22:47 Les Mikesell wrote:
>> This is discussed by about every new user on the mail list, but the
>> short answer is that there is not a good way to do it.  Rsync will work
>> but will take a very long time.   Another approach is to image-copy the
>> partition, then expand the filesystem on the new disk.  That would be
>> faster but takes some obscure commands.  Or there is this approach:
>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Move_backup_
>> data which is somewhere in between.
>
> I am currently in the process of doing this in two steps:
>
> 1. Moving the cpool to a partition with LVM, so as to be able to make
> snapshot
> binary backups in future.

Another approach to this is to make a raid1 mirror with an extra member that
can
be added and removed periodically.

> 2. Copying the snapshot over the network to a backup server.
>
> I'll blog it soon and post here.  In short, the fastest way to duplicate your
> pool is: dd if=/dev/partition1 of=/dev/partition2

If there is a substantial amount of unused space  on the partition, partimage
or
partclone might do it faster.  And now that I think about it, clonezilla might
be able to do the copy and expansion for you with some appropriate menu choices
but you'd have to shut the machine down and reboot with the clonezilla-live CD.