BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines

2010-04-20 18:06:53
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines
From: "B. Alexander" <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:04:58 -0400
If this is covered somewhere in the wiki or elsewhere, please point me to it.

With the problems I had with disk space on my backup server recently, I am considering moving it to a machine that has SATA and a 1.5TB drive. However, I would rather not start over again, I want to migrate the data over to the other machine. I know I need to install backuppc, copy over /etc/backuppc, but what is the best/fastest way to migrate the data over? I was thinking

rsync -avHe ssh machine1:/var/lib/backuppc/ machine2:/var/lib/backuppc/

But this seems like it would take a good while. Is there a faster/better way? I had also thought about using netcat.

What is the best practice for migrating backuppc data?

Thanks,
--b