BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines

2010-04-20 18:24:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrating backup machines
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:22:47 -0500
On 4/20/2010 5:04 PM, B. Alexander wrote:
> If this is covered somewhere in the wiki or elsewhere, please point me
> to it.
>
> With the problems I had with disk space on my backup server recently, I
> am considering moving it to a machine that has SATA and a 1.5TB drive.
> However, I would rather not start over again, I want to migrate the data
> over to the other machine. I know I need to install backuppc, copy over
> /etc/backuppc, but what is the best/fastest way to migrate the data
> over? I was thinking
>
> rsync -avHe ssh machine1:/var/lib/backuppc/ machine2:/var/lib/backuppc/
>
> But this seems like it would take a good while. Is there a faster/better
> way? I had also thought about using netcat.
>
> What is the best practice for migrating backuppc data?

This is discussed by about every new user on the mail list, but the
short answer is that there is not a good way to do it.  Rsync will work
but will take a very long time.   Another approach is to image-copy the
partition, then expand the filesystem on the new disk.  That would be
faster but takes some obscure commands.  Or there is this approach:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Move_backup_data
which is somewhere in between.

My recommendation is to build a new box and keep the old one around for
emergencies until the new one accumulates as much history as you need.