BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to have 1 full backup + incrementals forever?

2009-10-20 12:52:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to have 1 full backup + incrementals forever?
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:49:55 +0100
On Tuesday 20 October 2009 16:34:10 Adam Williams wrote:
> I'm doing this because it's what management wants, to be able to restore
> a file from any backup, so the backups will have to span indefinitely.
> There are times when i've been asked to restore a file that was last
> touched by a user 3, 5, etc years ago and at some more recent point was
> deleted.  And to carry that out, I'm asking if I have the proper
> configuration for that.  I am open to suggestions on how often I should
> be doing full and incremental backups.

Hi Adam,

Storing indefinitely is only a disk capacity issue.  The question is: to what
granularity do you want old backups kept?  Do you want to be able to recover
the file 2 years, 3 months, and 2 days ago, and also the one 2 years, 3
months, and 3 days ago?  If so you have no choice but to take a backup every
day and set retention to a very high level.

On the other hand, if it is acceptable to dailies for 2 months, and then
weeklies after that for 6 months, and then only monthlies - that can easily be
done with FullKeepCnt, FullKeepCntMin, FullAgeMax, and the Incr equivalents.
For instance, for my fulls I go back about 5 months, but in decreasing
granularity, with:

$Conf{FullPeriod} = '6.97';
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [ '4',  '3',  '4' ];

That is 4 weeks, then 3 period of 2 weeks, then 4 periods of 4 weeks.

But if you want just want dailies for 5 years, the settings would be:

$Conf{FullPeriod} = '6.97';
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = '260';
$Conf{FullKeepCntMin} = '260';
$Conf{FullAgeMax} = '1825';
$Conf{IncrPeriod} = '0.97';
$Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = '1560';
$Conf{IncrKeepCntMin} = '1560';
$Conf{IncrAgeMax} = '1825';

This will actually keep files for longer (one day longer for each day the PC
misses a backup).  You could set the KeepCnt, KeepCntMin, and AgeMax variables
to higher if you want longer.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"About astrology and palmistry: they are good because they make people
vivid and full of possibilities. They are communism at its best. Everybody