BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to have 1 full backup + incrementals forever?

2009-10-20 10:49:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to have 1 full backup + incrementals forever?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:45:19 -0500
Adam Williams wrote:
> Due to the nature of my business, I'd like to have BackupPC perform one
> full backup and then have incremental backups continue indefinitely.  Is
> the only way to do this, is to set the parameters in config.pl to very
> large numbers?
>
> $Conf{FullKeepCntMin} = 1;
> $Conf{FullAgeMax}     = 9999999999999;
> $Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = 9999999999999;
> $Conf{IncrKeepCntMin} = 9999999999999;
> $Conf{IncrAgeMax}     = 9999999999999;

That's generally a bad idea.  Incremental backups with non-rsync methods
won't catch new files created by methods that maintain old timestamps or
the new locations of files under renamed directories.  Rysnc
incrementals either copy everything that has changed since the previous
full if you don't use incremental levels or they have to do a lot of
extra work to merge all of the accumulated differences in the
incrementals if you do.

Backuppc doesn't store duplicate copies and if you use rsync, doesn't
transfer files you had in the last full, so there is not a big downside
to doing fulls weekly or so.