BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to have 1 full backup + incrementals forever?

2009-10-20 13:46:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to have 1 full backup + incrementals forever?
From: Adam Williams <awilliam AT mdah.state.ms DOT us>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:42:07 -0500
Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> Hi Adam,
> Storing indefinitely is only a disk capacity issue.  The question is: to what
> granularity do you want old backups kept?  Do you want to be able to recover
> the file 2 years, 3 months, and 2 days ago, and also the one 2 years, 3
> months, and 3 days ago?  If so you have no choice but to take a backup every
> day and set retention to a very high level.
>
> On the other hand, if it is acceptable to dailies for 2 months, and then
> weeklies after that for 6 months, and then only monthlies - that can easily
> be
> done with FullKeepCnt, FullKeepCntMin, FullAgeMax, and the Incr equivalents.
> For instance, for my fulls I go back about 5 months, but in decreasing
> granularity, with:
>
> $Conf{FullPeriod} = '6.97';
> $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [ '4',  '3',  '4' ];
>
> That is 4 weeks, then 3 period of 2 weeks, then 4 periods of 4 weeks.
>
> But if you want just want dailies for 5 years, the settings would be:
>
> $Conf{FullPeriod} = '6.97';
> $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = '260';
> $Conf{FullKeepCntMin} = '260';
> $Conf{FullAgeMax} = '1825';
> $Conf{IncrPeriod} = '0.97';
> $Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = '1560';
> $Conf{IncrKeepCntMin} = '1560';
> $Conf{IncrAgeMax} = '1825';
>
> This will actually keep files for longer (one day longer for each day the PC
> misses a backup).  You could set the KeepCnt, KeepCntMin, and AgeMax
> variables
> to higher if you want longer.
>
> Regards,
> Tyle

Thanks, Disk capacity really isn't much of an issue.  Disks are getting
larger and cheaper, storage ability is expanding with 64-bit Linux +
RAID + xfs file system + LVM + iSCSI.  The config.pl comments weren't
making that much sense to me, but the paramaters are starting to make
sense now that I have some examples.  The period is one week, daily
incrementals, 260 weeks of full backups in 5 years, 1825 days in 5
years, 1560/260 = 6 incrementals per week that will be retained.