BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to have 1 full backup + incrementals forever?

2009-10-20 14:01:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to have 1 full backup + incrementals forever?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:58:20 -0500
Adam Williams wrote:
> Yes, in my config.pl I have:
>
> $Conf{XferMethod} = 'rsync';
>
> I'm doing this because it's what management wants, to be able to restore
> a file from any backup, so the backups will have to span indefinitely.
> There are times when i've been asked to restore a file that was last
> touched by a user 3, 5, etc years ago and at some more recent point was
> deleted.  And to carry that out, I'm asking if I have the proper
> configuration for that.  I am open to suggestions on how often I should
> be doing full and incremental backups.

If you have many logfiles, mailboxes, or database files you'll burn up a
lot of space keeping every incremental. Do you need to be able to
restore from any day's backup or would one a week be enough after you go
back a month or so?  Regardless, I'd try to stick with weekly fulls and
daily incrementals (the defaults) and set $Conf{FullKeepCntMin} to a
very large number so fulls won't ever be deleted and
$Conf{IncrKeepCntMin} to the number of days back that you'll need daily
access (or also very large if you don't want any incrementals to be
deleted).