BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to have 1 full backup + incrementals forever?

2009-10-20 15:26:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to have 1 full backup + incrementals forever?
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:22:02 +0100
On Tuesday 20 October 2009 18:42:07 Adam Williams wrote:
> Thanks, Disk capacity really isn't much of an issue.  Disks are getting
> larger and cheaper, storage ability is expanding with 64-bit Linux +
> RAID + xfs file system + LVM + iSCSI.  The config.pl comments weren't
> making that much sense to me, but the paramaters are starting to make
> sense now that I have some examples.  The period is one week, daily
> incrementals, 260 weeks of full backups in 5 years, 1825 days in 5
> years, 1560/260 = 6 incrementals per week that will be retained.

Exactly.  And don't forget that when you edit the config via the web GUI,
every variable is a hyperlink to the documentation.  It doesn't take that long
to understand that way.  I do *everything* by the command line, so it says a
great deal about the quality of the web interface and documentation that I
prefer it.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"About astrology and palmistry: they are good because they make people
vivid and full of possibilities. They are communism at its best. Everybody