BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What is it doing? How to see progess?

2009-04-13 16:12:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What is it doing? How to see progess?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:00:27 +0200
Hi,

Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote on 2009-04-13 11:48:40 -0500 [Re:
[BackupPC-users] What is it doing? How to see progess?]:
> In any case, you really do want compression in most cases.
> the only exception that I use, is when you're backing up the local machine.
> This way you can still recover the files even without backuppc. (It would be
> silly to need backuppc to recover the backuppc config files, wouldn't it?)

no, not really. You can recover compressed files from a backup with
BackupPC_zcat. Simple enough. So you could install BackupPC on a newly
installed machine, BackupPC_zcat the configuration into place and then
use BackupPC to recover whatever else you want to. Not that that is very
automatic, but you would need to pick out the config files and rename
them into place even with an uncompressed backup.

In either case, it is probably simpler to set up BackupPC just as far as
you need to to be able to restore, and then restore the configuration. I
would expect the complex parts of your configuration to be things like
a multitude of individual host config files, pre- and post-commands,
backup schedules, blackout periods, ssh tunnels to remote sites, special
arguments for remote backups and so on, not the restoration of localhost.
That, I would expect, should almost work out of the box (you obviously
need to supply the ShareName, which is simple enough to figure out, and
the XferMethod, which is not smb ;-).

You've got a good point for *the rest of /etc*, though. The BackupPC
configuration files won't be needed unless you have installed BackupPC
and want to use it, other files might be needed before you have the
opportunity of installing BackupPC (on a dedicated backup server, that's
probably the first thing you'll do, but not everyone has one).

Regards,
Holger