BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] RSYNC xfer failing backuppc version 3.2.0beta0

2009-04-13 16:34:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] RSYNC xfer failing backuppc version 3.2.0beta0
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Tim Hall <thall AT insightit DOT ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:22:52 +0200
Hi,

Tim Hall wrote on 2009-04-13 10:30:19 -0700 [Re: [BackupPC-users] RSYNC xfer
failing backuppc version?3.2.0beta0]:
> Hi Thanks for the Reply.  The xfer method "ftp" in the error
> confused me as well, from the CGI interface it is set to
> "rsync"  When I check the hosts config file there is NO line
> for xfer method if I manually add it, it seems to ignore it.

as Craig explained, the error message does *not* mean that BackupPC is
trying to use 'ftp' as XferMethod. You can't avoid the error by changing
the XferMethod, you need to install File::Listing (for Debian, that's in
libwww-perl - 'apt-get install libwww-perl').

> This is a new install so I thought I would try the beta version
> do you recommend I go back to the stable version?

Well, you've just found a bug that nobody would have noticed who happens
to have File::Listing installed. That's a good thing. If you want to help
test the beta version before it is released, I'm sure that will be
appreciated. If you prefer to have a working setup with as little hassle
as possible (not that I'd expect many problems with the beta version), use
the stable version. You can check the changelog to see if 3.2.0 has any
improvements you really need (such as XferMethod ftp), but most of us do
just fine with 3.x or even 2.x versions.

Regards,
Holger