BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Have global exclusions stay global?

2009-04-13 15:36:36
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Have global exclusions stay global?
From: oblivian <news AT 3056 DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:12:20 +0200
Hello list,

I currently back up some 30 servers and workstations, Linux, Macs and
Windows clients using BackupPC and is so far very happy with it.
In general, I try to, as far as possible, to use the global exclusion
variables to simplify the managing of the clients. Some clients require
special variables to be set, like Windows Vista clients, due to the new
naming conventions in Vista. The problem is, when I enter one single
parameter to a client the variables isn't global anymore, but specific
to that partiular client. I.e. on Vista clients I exclude /Documents and
Settings and /Users/*/My* since  they are just symlinks to other
directories, unnecessarily doubling the amount of data being backed up.
I can't use those variables on Win XP clients of course.

BTW, I use rsync for all clients, wether it's Linux, Windows og OSX.

Is it a way to counter this? I.e. have the global variables staying
global even though some settings are client specific?

Please advice and thanks,

Oblivian