BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] vmware/virtuabox/etc.?

2009-04-09 05:15:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] vmware/virtuabox/etc.?
From: Thomas Karcher <thkarcher AT gmx DOT de>
To: kacoroski AT gmail DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 11:12:03 +0200
Hi Ski,

> > Performance is of course not really great but surprisingly good. I
> > evaluated (very shortly) against mounting via NFS, and NFS just sucks
> > with backuppc.
> I think it depends on the NFS server you are using.  I have over 1500
> clients backing up via 7 backuppc servers attached via nfs to a high
> performance Exastore NAS device.  Works great.

Ah, yes, that's possible, I have a much "cheaper" environment - and also
a setup smaller by magnitudes. I had the impression that many very small
disk accesses (as backuppc does when checking for newer file version
etc.) is already a bad disk usage pattern by itself. And NFS didn't
handle it better either ...

Anyway, nice to know that a specialized NAS device could help there.

Thomas