BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] vmware/virtuabox/etc.?

2009-04-09 10:58:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] vmware/virtuabox/etc.?
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 09:54:49 -0500
stoffell wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
>> a VMware/virtualbox or other virtual machine image that could run on any
>> machine that would be able to access this disk via a USB adapter for
>> quick emergency restores.  Does anyone have experience with any of the
>> virtual machine's USB handling to know if this would be practical and
>> which technology would be best at it?
>
> Virtualbox handles USB devices (like harddisks) good. You can start
> virtualbox on your windows/linux box, boot your virtual debian,
> install backuppc and mount the USB device on the backuppc directory
> :-) (and don't forget to config/backup your /etc/backuppc dir)

I know it is "supposed" to work but so far it hasn't for me running with
Windows XP as the host.  The device shows up in the VM interface but
always shows 'busy'.  I see an open ticket here:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3033 but no solution.  In some ways I
like virtualbox better than VMware (and there's a free version for the
Mac) but in this case VMware seems to be the path of least resistance
for now.  I have been able to run vmdk disk images created by VMware
under virtualbox with minimal tweaking so it shouldn't be a big deal to
switch later.