BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] vmware/virtuabox/etc.?

2009-04-08 13:06:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] vmware/virtuabox/etc.?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 11:59:55 -0500
John Rouillard wrote:

>> Personally, I would suspect the simplest method is a knoppix CD, boot
>> up, install backuppc, mount the usb drive, and away you go. When
>> finished, remove the knoppix CD and unplug the USB drive, and leave the
>> PC exactly as you found it.
>>
>> PS, there are methods for customising a knoppix cd, so you could in fact
>> pre-install backuppc so that it is already configured/running/tested...
>
> That's the route I started down. Didn't get to the end yet though
> 8-). But having that cd would be a major win.

Hmmm..., a while back I tried to set up a large USB drive to boot
clonezilla (basically a live debian or ubuntu with some partition
imaging utilities) and also have a partition to hold images for one-stop
cloning but had trouble getting it to boot.  Maybe that would be the
best starting point - just install backuppc on that too and connect the
current backuppc disk on another USB port.  Then I'd be able to image
any compatible hardware with our standard starting images and drop
current backup updates on top, besides being able to run it over the
network.  I just need to figure out why it wouldn't boot, but that was
several versions ago.

Which reminds me - I think with some minor tweaks it might be possible
to make clonezilla restore from a backuppc archive.  You'd just need to
have the partition layout saved so clonezilla could reconstruct it, then
at the point where it normally restores an image, format the filesystem
and do a tar restore from the backuppc data instead.  Normally this
could be pulled from the running backuppc server with an ssh command,
but in a disaster recovery scenario with clonezilla running and the
backuppc archive disk available you could pipe directly from
BackupPCtarCreate.