BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] vmware/virtuabox/etc.?

2009-04-08 11:59:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] vmware/virtuabox/etc.?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:55:29 -0500
Thomas Karcher wrote:

>> I'm looking for something that can be fired up easily on a
>> windows/mac
>> without much concern for its physical hardware, so I don't think Xen
>> is
>> a good fit.  I do have a dual-boot laptop - but it spends much of its
>> time in the same building as the data being backed up and I'd like a
>> plan that only needs the offsite disk and perhaps an image on a CD or
>> DVD that is likely to run anywhere.
>
> It doesn't matter which VM technology you choose - the network block
> device is the main idea.
>
> But perhaps I miss the point: You want to run a "desaster recovery"
> backuppc instance, right?

I don't want to "maintain" a disaster recovery instance or require it to
exist in any particular place - I want to be able to spin up a virtual
machine on any available hardware that can access my spare disk copy via
a USB adapter and be restoring files in a few minutes.

 > You will have to do this in a *nix
> environment, since you need to read your backuppc repository filesystem
> with hard links. Whether you do that in a VM or on a physical machine
> doesn't matter I guess. So you have two tasks: Make such a desaster
> recovery system running, and get your last working backuppc repository
> to it. If you have a physical machine, it's a matter of connecting and
> mounting.

I have a physical machine in the form of a dual-boot laptop, but it is
the one I use daily in the same building as the data being backed up, so
it's probably not a good idea to expect it to survive a disaster.

> If you have a VM, all I'm saying is: I have good experience
> with nbd. And as far as I know, there is a NBD server for windows, but I
> didn't look much into it. This way, you could "export" your USB disk
> from a windows machine and "import" = mount it from any nbd-capable *nix
> machine on the same network.

It might also work to re-spin one of the live linux CD distributions
that auto-detect most common hardware, but a VM sounds easier.  Both
Virtualbox and the current vmware server/player claim to work with USB
2.0 but I haven't done any speed tests yet - in fact I haven't been able
to get virtualbox to see usb drives at all.