BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] vmware/virtuabox/etc.?

2009-04-08 10:11:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] vmware/virtuabox/etc.?
From: Thomas Karcher <thkarcher AT gmx DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 16:03:16 +0200
Hi,

> I'm looking for something that can be fired up easily on a
> windows/mac
> without much concern for its physical hardware, so I don't think Xen
> is
> a good fit.  I do have a dual-boot laptop - but it spends much of its
> time in the same building as the data being backed up and I'd like a
> plan that only needs the offsite disk and perhaps an image on a CD or
> DVD that is likely to run anywhere.

It doesn't matter which VM technology you choose - the network block
device is the main idea.

But perhaps I miss the point: You want to run a "desaster recovery"
backuppc instance, right? You will have to do this in a *nix
environment, since you need to read your backuppc repository filesystem
with hard links. Whether you do that in a VM or on a physical machine
doesn't matter I guess. So you have two tasks: Make such a desaster
recovery system running, and get your last working backuppc repository
to it. If you have a physical machine, it's a matter of connecting and
mounting. If you have a VM, all I'm saying is: I have good experience
with nbd. And as far as I know, there is a NBD server for windows, but I
didn't look much into it. This way, you could "export" your USB disk
from a windows machine and "import" = mount it from any nbd-capable *nix
machine on the same network.

Thomas