Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore from virtual tape

2005-07-16 15:48:02
Subject: Re: amrestore from virtual tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:19:23 -0400
On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 09:07:02PM +0200, Michael Weiser wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 07:22:10AM +0200, Michael Weiser wrote:
>
> > But I actually want to restore the archives not individual files. Can I
> > do that with amrecover?
>
> > I found that I can do something like this though:
>
> > amrestore -p diskdir/slot30/00002.machine._.3  | \
> >     ssh machine "cat - >~/restore/machine._.2.tar"
>
> > I just wonder if it's the right way to do it[tm].
>
> Ahem, sorry if I phrased that ambiguously. It was actually ment as a
> question.
>
> Does anybody know if the above is the right way to restore complete
> archives from virtual tapes?

Don't have a real solid answer, fortunately I've not had to do that.
Just a couple of thoughts.

Simple thing, you have a mismatch in source and destination names,
level .3 -> level .2.tar

The amrestore command is getting the file in uncompressed format
even if it was compressed.  If you want to transfer the compressed
form I think you could add the -r option.

Extraction and transfer could be done separately if you have space
and don't want to play with pipes/cat/ssh.

You are certain it is a tar archive?  Separate extraction of the
header can be done to see what amanda says it used.

Using amrecover might be possible.  I think when you specify to
extract a directory it extracts recursively anything under that
directory.  So adding "/" or "." to the extract list (I forget the
semantics) might make recovery of the entire dump possible using
amrecover.

The final answer is, of course, whatever works :)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)