Amanda-Users

Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]

2005-07-13 22:18:08
Subject: Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:55:35 -0400
On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:07:25PM +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 10:13:04PM +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> >
> >>I would like to have some motivated amanda-hackers who try to move all
> >>these configure-time-params into amanda.conf ...
> >
> >When this is done, shouldn't the continued paring of amanda.conf
> >include removal of those things not specific config related?
> >Perhaps it is time for a new system-wide config file with
> >the types of parameters of amanda user ...
>
> Give me more ...
>
> Let's think something like
>
> /etc/amanda/amanda.conf
> /etc/amanda/tapetype.conf

I don't think any 3rd party/optional/... packages should install
into the root filesystem.  Not all unicies are linicies where
things like amanda might be considered part of the "system" install.
On systems such as HP/IBM/Sun it is best to keep the root filesystem
for the OS.

Now, if you had started out as "/usr/local/etc/amanda" or "/opt/amanda"
that would be fine.

> /etc/amanda/config/daily/daily.conf
> /etc/amanda/config/daily/daily.disklist

Does this suggest that within an amanda config, the .conf file
and disklist files might be named with the config name prepended?
That would be a pretty drastic, though perhaps appropriate, change.
Consideration should be made to leaving the amanda.conf and the
disklist file in the config directory the same names as current.
A new name, reflecting the more global nature of the amanda.conf
file above, could be found.

> or something like this ...
>
> I would really like to develop the overall structure of
> AMANDA-configuration to a point where we can provide solid packages to
> the various distributors which simply work with just editing some files.

Installation would be interesting as chown/chmod is needed at that time
but the config files would not yet have been edited.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)