Amanda-Users

Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]

2005-07-13 23:32:11
Subject: Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:18:32 -0400
On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 10:13:04PM +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger enlightened us:
> Matt Hyclak wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:45:07PM -0600, Graeme Humphries enlightened us:
>
> >>Sure, you just can't change compile-time options, like what user to use.
> >
> >That's the big problem with amanda and distributions. They have to send out
> >binaries with localhost compiled in (among other things) that just don't
> >cut
> >it in amandaland. I've taken some steps to fix that situation in my .spec
> >files, some of which have made it back to Jay at RH.
>
> Thanks for this, maybe we manage to reach other (big) distros as well.

The least I can do in this crazy Open Source world...

> >My time has been
> >occupied with other things as of late, so I haven't had a chance to make
> >any
> >more cleanups and pass those along.
> >
> >I have some SRPMS available at:
> >
> >http://www.math.ohiou.edu/mirror/casit/redhat/EL3/SRPMS
> >
> >and
> >
> >http://www.math.ohiou.edu/mirror/casit/redhat/EL4/core/SRPMS
>
> May we/I link to those srpms? May/should I copy them to amanda.org (to
> keep your traffic low)?

I guess I would prefer you not link directly to the rpms, as I may change
how my repository is laid out. What I will do is make something presentable
that can have a persistent link which will point to those and any other
files I might feel are useful. And I'm not overly concerned with
traffic...my University has loads of it :-)

> >Recommended usage is to run rpm -i amanda-2.4.5...src.rpm, edit the spec
> >file filling in the values at the top of the file for your tapeserver,
> >indexserver and default config name. You can also scroll down there and
> >change the user from amanda to backup if you so desire.
> >
> >Finally, rpmbuild -ba amanda.spec to build the binaries for your platform
> >with your settings. All the advantages of building from source with the
> >advantages of having rpm track files for you :-)
> >
> >Hope that helps,
> >Matt
>
> I would like to have some motivated amanda-hackers who try to move all
> these configure-time-params into amanda.conf ...
>
> Until this xmas-present arrives, I think about starting to provide some
> proper rpms/srpms at amanda.org, compiled with some reasonable
> configure-params and with proper instructions added ...
>
> A good and working spec-file might be a start, I once fiddled with the
> Suse-spec, contacted their maintainer and got back nothing ....

It's a tough problem to solve, that's for sure. I can see where the original
logic in compiling options into the binaries makes for no config files on
the client, but I agree that it's time for that to change.

> Matt, I'd like to know more about your work and your contacts to Jay, I
> discussed some topics with him lately ...
>
> (seems like this should have gotten a private mail, but I decide to send
> it to the list, this topic touches all amanda-users ...)

Nothing more than the occasional chat on the #amanda channel on freenode and
some suggestions. My specfile changes were pretty trivial, although I had
grander plans at the time. As I said, other things took precedence, so I
haven't managed to implement all that I had hoped.

I will let everyone know when I have something pulled together for building
your own amanda RPMs That Don't Suck. Soon. I hope ;-)

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics