Amanda-Users

Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]

2005-07-13 16:27:39
Subject: Re: runtar: error [must be invoked by amanda]
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:13:04 +0200
Matt Hyclak wrote:
On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:45:07PM -0600, Graeme Humphries enlightened us:

Sure, you just can't change compile-time options, like what user to use.

That's the big problem with amanda and distributions. They have to send out
binaries with localhost compiled in (among other things) that just don't cut
it in amandaland. I've taken some steps to fix that situation in my .spec
files, some of which have made it back to Jay at RH.

Thanks for this, maybe we manage to reach other (big) distros as well.

My time has been
occupied with other things as of late, so I haven't had a chance to make any
more cleanups and pass those along.

I have some SRPMS available at:

http://www.math.ohiou.edu/mirror/casit/redhat/EL3/SRPMS and
http://www.math.ohiou.edu/mirror/casit/redhat/EL4/core/SRPMS

May we/I link to those srpms? May/should I copy them to amanda.org (to keep your traffic low)?

Recommended usage is to run rpm -i amanda-2.4.5...src.rpm, edit the spec
file filling in the values at the top of the file for your tapeserver,
indexserver and default config name. You can also scroll down there and
change the user from amanda to backup if you so desire.

Finally, rpmbuild -ba amanda.spec to build the binaries for your platform
with your settings. All the advantages of building from source with the
advantages of having rpm track files for you :-)

Hope that helps,
Matt

I would like to have some motivated amanda-hackers who try to move all these configure-time-params into amanda.conf ...

Until this xmas-present arrives, I think about starting to provide some proper rpms/srpms at amanda.org, compiled with some reasonable configure-params and with proper instructions added ...

A good and working spec-file might be a start, I once fiddled with the Suse-spec, contacted their maintainer and got back nothing ....

Matt, I'd like to know more about your work and your contacts to Jay, I discussed some topics with him lately ...

(seems like this should have gotten a private mail, but I decide to send it to the list, this topic touches all amanda-users ...)

Greets and thanks, Stefan.

--
Stefan G. Weichinger
AMANDA core team member