Amanda-Users

Re: Configuring amanda backup using LUFS and vtapes

2005-04-06 20:22:31
Subject: Re: Configuring amanda backup using LUFS and vtapes
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 20:17:19 -0400
On Wednesday 06 April 2005 18:05, Vlad Popa wrote:
>Hi!
>
>One bavarian Bretzel and one bottle of dark Weissbeer for those
> helping me!
>
>I was asking once ago, if it might be possible to use amanda  for
> backup on a ftp-server mounted by LUFS (linux user file system).
>
>Well, I was able to mount that ftp-share and have some troubles, as
>softlinking seems to be disallowed on the share.
> The way described in Stefan's Howto (the part  with the linking) is
> not working.  Any ideas  for setting up 8 vtapes with 10GB space on
> this share and using the chg-disk script ? Any workarounds
> ?
>The defintive aim is ,  to take   6 days incremental backups on
> vtape and on the 7th the full dump and to habe one vtape in spare
> (ie for experimenting ..)
>

>Greeting from Salzburg
>
>Vlad

Thats the general idea of someone coming into amanda from another,
usually less capable backup system.  Yes, that *can* be done, but it
requires a bit of rather creative monkey business to coerce amanda
into doing it that way, and then you are by definition, twice as
susceptable to human errors at the same time.

Much better is to understand that amanda will do a level 0 on
everything in the disklist "at some time during the dumpcycle days
specified".

Amanda will adjust that schedule on a disklist entry by disklist entry
basis over 2 or more 'tapecycles' in an attempt to keep the
individual nightly backup runs using about the same amount of tape on
every run.  To that end, its a great aid to amanda if no one disklist
entry is more than half a tape, so a lot of little entries instead of
just 4 or 5 big ones, gives amanda the granularity it needs to do
these adjustments intelligently.

If things get tight on the storage medium, amanda may delay a level 0
backup thats due, but not more than 1 day unless its just plain too
big for the media, in which case it will never get done at all, so at
worst case, if you had a 7 day dumpcycle, a runspercycle also set for
7, and runtapes set to 1, then the absolute worst you would need for
a full recovery would be the last 8 tapes.

If the drives capacity is such that a shorter dumpcycle can be
accomodated, then dumpcycle can be shortened, putting more of the
systems level 0's on a given tape, and there will be fewer tapes
required for a full recovery.

Now, because a tape can go bad at any time, if yesterdays tape should
be faulty, then the prior 7 or 8 days worth of tapes would be as
close as you can come to a full recovery, and you will have lost from
that tape forward, that stuff that had a level 0 on the bad tape.
Thats exactly why most will get enough tapes for an extended
tapecycle.  2 or more full dumpcycles worth of tapes in the tapecycle
can give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling because it can never be a
total loss.

Generally speaking, its best at the end of the day, to just let amanda
run according to her rules, giving her advice as to the limits in the
way you set dumpcycle, runspercycle, runtapes and runspercycle, and
amanda will cover you pretty well indeed if just left alone.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: