Amanda-Users

back to the list

2005-04-06 20:10:11
Subject: back to the list
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:53:19 -0400
On Wednesday 06 April 2005 17:14, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>On Wednesday 06 April 2005 09:34, Vicki Stanfield wrote:
>>>I am still trying to understand and improve my inherited amanda
>>>configuration. I notice that in the disklist, there are parent
>>>directories listed before their children. Here is an example:
>>>
>>>myhost        /                               comp-low-tar
>>>myhost        /usr                            comp-low-tar
>>>myhost        /var                            comp-med-tar
>>>myhost        /net/myhost/home              comp-med-tar
>>
>>Hoo boy!  Vicky, do you not understand that / and /usr are very
>> likely two entirely seperate filesystems, mounted individually?
>>
>>>Does Amanda backup the subdirectories of an item listed in the
>>>disklist?
>>
>>Unless you explicitely exclude a subdir, it will be recursively
>> backed up by tar.  dump OTOH, can only do the full filesystem.
>> Thats why we like tar, much better control.
>>
>>>And does that mean that I am backing up /usr twice? I
>>>suspect that the answer is no, but I would like to confirm this.
>>
>>Look at the /etc/fstab on that machine Vicky, and if there are
>>seperate entries for each, then they are indeed seperate
>> filesystems, and the disklist is correct.
>>
>>>I also notice that some things in the disklist sometimes show up
>>> in amadmin balance as being extraordinarily overdue (like 131
>>> days). due-date  #fs    orig KB     out KB   balance
>>>----------------------------------------------
>>>4/06 Wed    5   56836750   46326642   +384.2%
>>>4/07 Thu    2   13680830   13680830    +43.0%
>>>4/08 Fri    0          0          0      ---
>>>4/09 Sat    3    7928350    6604199    -31.0%
>>>4/10 Sun    3    9011080    9011080     -5.8%
>>>4/11 Mon    5   14117700    8890351     -7.1%
>>>4/12 Tue    6   11165980   10039560     +4.9%
>>>4/13 Wed    6   11057670    9254644     -3.3%
>>>
>>>4/16 Sat    8    9326350    8127764    -15.1%
>>>4/17 Sun    4   11941010   10722435    +12.1%
>>>4/18 Mon    1   14422360   14422360    +50.7%
>>>4/19 Tue    3   14011020   11719132    +22.5%
>>>4/20 Wed    6   11232850    8034076    -16.0%
>>>
>>>4/23 Sat   32   10841180   10841180    +13.3%
>>>4/24 Sun    1   14116820   14116820    +47.5%
>>>----------------------------------------------
>>>TOTAL       85  209689950  181791073   9567951
>>> (estimated 19 runs per dumpcycle)
>>>(3 filesystems overdue, the most being overdue 131 days)
>>
>>Thats a bonafide notice that one or more of the filesystems has
>> grown so big that a level 0 on it will no longer fit on the
>> storage medium. When that happens, the backups on that filesystem
>> cease.
>>
>>The former administrators account should contain emails notifying
>> the admin of that problem.  I suspect they haven't been read in
>> quite some time.  As root, change the ownership from the previous
>> account holder to your's, and then mv the whole thing to your home
>> directory so you can peruse them for clues.
>>
>>So now, your job is to find out which partition has outgrown the
> [...]

Sorry, I was making assumptions that obviously aren't true, my
apologies.

As for amanda and ldap stuff, the acronym is known to me and thats
about all.  But I'm fairly sure there are those on this list who can
advise.

Have you managed to find and read the mail from amanda yet?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: