Amanda-Users

Re: Configuring amanda backup using LUFS and vtapes

2005-04-08 11:40:09
Subject: Re: Configuring amanda backup using LUFS and vtapes
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:27:25 +0200
Hi, Vlad,

on Freitag, 08. April 2005 at 11:46 you wrote to amanda-users:

VP> Yes, I' mounting  ftp-shares as a local filesystem (program used: Linux
VP> User File System, short: lufs, see http://lufs.sourceforge.net).

Everyday is schoolday ;-)

VP> I can
VP> write files on it, but linking on the ftp-server seems to be disabled.

Could also be a limitation of lufs, can't find anything on the
project-page.

VP> I could link outside of the share (ie the share is mounted to
VP> /mnt/ftpbackup/; I am not able to set a softlink like "ln -s
VP> /mnt/ftbackup/file  /mnt/ftpbackup/softlink", but I could link from my
VP> home to it  "ln  -s /mnt/ftpbackup/testfile.txt  /home/vlad/test.txt" or
VP> elsewhere on my  server works ..) So it is a special problem that I have
VP> here. The Howto is well documented. Thanks !

welcome ...

VP>  O.K. .. Do you see any possibilities for me using somehow the virtual
VP> tape  changer  "chg-disk"  or getting along without it  and have my
VP> backup system running ?    If I could set the link for the virtual tape
VP> changer slots on my server but not on the share I think I could be set.
VP> If my setup is finally  working, I'd be glad to add some documentation
VP> to your vtape-howto.  Probably there are more users out there having
VP> rent a server package like this with a free ftp backup share.

So you have ftp-access to that server only? No ssh or something (you
could try the sshfs-module of lufs then)?

Apart from that:

Maybe you can get it working by ("exporting" and) mounting all the
vtape-dirs separately? One ftp-share per vtape, then one mount per
ftp-share? Sounds complicated but should work out ... The links would
then happen locally and should therefore work.

VP> Greetings from Salzburg/Austria

Greetings from Lower Austria ;-)
--
best regards,