Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda

2004-06-16 04:43:57
Subject: Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:36:41 +0200
Hi, Andreas,

on Mittwoch, 16. Juni 2004 at 08:09 you wrote to amanda-users:

>> A diff against my current .config shows that this seems to be a pretty
>> fat kernel, many many things compiled into it statically ...
>>
>> I am no kernel-hacker but I know that having ONE of all those options
>> wrong can break things ... this has happened to me for several times.

AS> This has ofcourse happened to me too, though I have been using kernels
AS> I have configured myself for the past 5 years or so, and it's not very
AS> common for me anymore.

AS> If it not were that the same ".config" works in 2.6.5 but not in 2.6.6
AS> I had started looking into what could be causing it.

AS> There are severel things I could live without in the kernel config
AS> which may or may not fix this particular problem (IPv6 is one thing I
AS> have been thinking of myself) it would probably help us isolating the
AS> problem, but since the server is rather slow it's pretty painful to
AS> recompile the kernel again and again.

Yep, I know these boxes ...

Removing IPv6 is a good thing, I think ...

>> This reminds of "something completely different" (who knows which
>> TV-series? ...) :
>>
>> Show us your disklist.
AS> #
AS> # File format is:
AS> #
AS> #       hostname diskdev dumptype [spindle [interface]]
AS> #
AS> # where the dumptypes are defined by you in amanda.conf or in-line.

AS> # Zappa
AS> zappa.zappa.cx /boot root-tar
AS> zappa.zappa.cx / comp-root-tar
AS> zappa.zappa.cx /var comp-high-tar
AS> zappa.zappa.cx /imagelib high-tar
AS> zappa.zappa.cx /apps comp-root-tar
AS> zappa.zappa.cx /home/emelie user-tar
AS> zappa.zappa.cx /home/sunkan comp-user-tar

OK. No localhost-stuff detected ...

>> AS> I have already done this several times before starting to try different
>> AS> rc versions, that is only done to narrow down things for my report
>> AS> to the lkml which was where I started looking for help.
>>
>> Tasty problem. Looking forward to the solution ...

AS> Me too, although I feel that I'm taking a bit more time for help in
AS> diagnosing this than I really want too. This is not a corporate server
AS> but a server in my home network, but it holds very important data for my
AS> family (digital photo album, mail etc..)

AS> Keep the questions coming and I'll try and answer them the best I can.

Just spend the time on this that you want to. You don't have to
diagnose this, we just try to help you doing this if you want to do
it.

Read the news on kernel.org : 2.6.7 is out ;-)
Maybe you try this one if you find the enthusisasm.

Remove unneeded network-stuff, clean up the .config, the side-effect
is that this speeds up compiling.

And if you try that, also make sure to use a version of AMANDA that
has been compiled with a "working" kernel running.

Just to be safe.

I go and compile 2.6.7 on my PII ;-)

--
best regards,