Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda

2004-06-16 02:17:46
Subject: Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda
From: Andreas Sundstrom <sunkan AT zappa DOT cx>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:09:17 +0200
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Hi, Andreas,

on Dienstag, 15. Juni 2004 at 21:56 you wrote to amanda-users:

Where could that one reside? A faulty network-module? Remember that
these things work fine here with each 2.6 ..

AS> I'm almost sure it's some kind of kernel bug. That's why I have bothered
AS> to narrow down on wich -rc kernel which started causing it.

I am pretty cautious with pointing my finger at "a kernel bug".

I am too, I didn't mean it that way. My intention was to say that from my
experiences it looks like the kernel is the only thing that has changed.
So that must ofcourse be the cause of my problem, but that doesn't mean
that a misconfiguration of the kernel/amanda/xinetd or whatever is
needed for the problem to arise.

Andreas, you could give me your .config, I will take a look ...
Just to update me: You also tried this with 2.6.6?

AS> Sure, that's how it all started problems when upgrading from 2.6.5 to
AS> 2.6.6. I'll attach my 2.6.6 config at the end.

Where did you get this config from? Have you modified it?

Well, I untar the kernel and run either "make menuconfig" or "make gconfig"
and start selecting/unselecting the stuff I think is needed for that
particular machine.

A diff against my current .config shows that this seems to be a pretty
fat kernel, many many things compiled into it statically ...

I am no kernel-hacker but I know that having ONE of all those options
wrong can break things ... this has happened to me for several times.

This has ofcourse happened to me too, though I have been using kernels
I have configured myself for the past 5 years or so, and it's not very
common for me anymore.

If it not were that the same ".config" works in 2.6.5 but not in 2.6.6
I had started looking into what could be causing it.

There are severel things I could live without in the kernel config
which may or may not fix this particular problem (IPv6 is one thing I
have been thinking of myself) it would probably help us isolating the
problem, but since the server is rather slow it's pretty painful to
recompile the kernel again and again.

If patched, did you look for .rej-files?
Did you use "make clean" or "make distclean"?

AS> I've patched from 2.6.5 to 2.6.6-rc1 or rc2 ofcourse, but I always patch
AS> a newly untarred kernel tree.

Always done "make clean" between compiler-runs?
Always checked for rej-files after patching?

I don't necessarily do "make clean" between every run, but if I have
some problem, like amanda stops working or whatever. The first thing
I do is to untar the kernel source and start over. But since I've been
using 2.6 for quite some time I only copy ".config" from the older 2.6
and do "make oldconfig" and answers the questions about the new kernel
options.

Also the modules could be faulty ... any fancy network-hardware used?

AS> Maybe, not very fancy but a bit uncommon:

AS> The 3c980-TX is not the most common NIC, it's the one serving the lan, but
AS> all my backups are local so I don't really see why it should mean trouble.

Never assume anything is local ;-)
TCP/IP does not care much about local stuff ...

Right, never assume anything really..
Better be safe then sorry.

This reminds of "something completely different" (who knows which
TV-series? ...) :

Show us your disklist.
#
# File format is:
#
#       hostname diskdev dumptype [spindle [interface]]
#
# where the dumptypes are defined by you in amanda.conf or in-line.

# Zappa
zappa.zappa.cx /boot root-tar
zappa.zappa.cx / comp-root-tar
zappa.zappa.cx /var comp-high-tar
zappa.zappa.cx /imagelib high-tar
zappa.zappa.cx /apps comp-root-tar
zappa.zappa.cx /home/emelie user-tar
zappa.zappa.cx /home/sunkan comp-user-tar

I would suggest a complete re-install of a vanilla 2.6.6-kernel and
testing with this one. Doesn't make much sense to look for bugs in
that rc in my opinion.

AS> I have already done this several times before starting to try different
AS> rc versions, that is only done to narrow down things for my report
AS> to the lkml which was where I started looking for help.

Tasty problem. Looking forward to the solution ...

Me too, although I feel that I'm taking a bit more time for help in
diagnosing this than I really want too. This is not a corporate server
but a server in my home network, but it holds very important data for my
family (digital photo album, mail etc..)

Keep the questions coming and I'll try and answer them the best I can.

/Andreas