Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda

2004-06-15 17:16:56
Subject: Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:10:58 +0200
Hi, Andreas,

on Dienstag, 15. Juni 2004 at 21:56 you wrote to amanda-users:

>> Where could that one reside? A faulty network-module? Remember that
>> these things work fine here with each 2.6 ..

AS> I'm almost sure it's some kind of kernel bug. That's why I have bothered
AS> to narrow down on wich -rc kernel which started causing it.

I am pretty cautious with pointing my finger at "a kernel bug".

>> Andreas, you could give me your .config, I will take a look ...
>> Just to update me: You also tried this with 2.6.6?

AS> Sure, that's how it all started problems when upgrading from 2.6.5 to
AS> 2.6.6. I'll attach my 2.6.6 config at the end.

Where did you get this config from? Have you modified it?

A diff against my current .config shows that this seems to be a pretty
fat kernel, many many things compiled into it statically ...

I am no kernel-hacker but I know that having ONE of all those options
wrong can break things ... this has happened to me for several times.

>> If patched, did you look for .rej-files?
>> Did you use "make clean" or "make distclean"?
AS> I've patched from 2.6.5 to 2.6.6-rc1 or rc2 ofcourse, but I always patch
AS> a newly untarred kernel tree.

Always done "make clean" between compiler-runs?
Always checked for rej-files after patching?

>> Also the modules could be faulty ... any fancy network-hardware used?
AS> Maybe, not very fancy but a bit uncommon:

AS> The 3c980-TX is not the most common NIC, it's the one serving the lan, but
AS> all my backups are local so I don't really see why it should mean trouble.

Never assume anything is local ;-)
TCP/IP does not care much about local stuff ...

This reminds of "something completely different" (who knows which
TV-series? ...) :

Show us your disklist.

>> I would suggest a complete re-install of a vanilla 2.6.6-kernel and
>> testing with this one. Doesn't make much sense to look for bugs in
>> that rc in my opinion.

AS> I have already done this several times before starting to try different
AS> rc versions, that is only done to narrow down things for my report
AS> to the lkml which was where I started looking for help.

Tasty problem. Looking forward to the solution ...

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger