Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda

2004-06-14 15:43:52
Subject: Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:41:02 -0400
On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 10:41:14PM +0200, Andreas Sundstrom wrote:
>          --with-user=root \
>          --with-group=root

A stab in the dark here:  these settings seem a bit suspicious.
Normally one doesn't run Amanda as root; it's able to get root
privilege when it needs it (that's what the little runtar and
rundump programs are for).  I don't know anything about
2.6-series kernels, but maybe some change snuck in that
interferes with Amanda trying to run as root.

Even if that turns out not to be the source of your 2.6.6
problem, for security reasons I'd suggest running Amanda as some
other user.

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
It must be said that they would have sounded better if the singer
wouldn't throw his fellow band members to the ground and toss the
drum kit around during songs.
        - Patrick Lenneau