Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda

2004-06-13 16:47:38
Subject: Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda
From: Andreas Sundstrom <sunkan AT zappa DOT cx>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 22:41:14 +0200
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
Hi, Andreas,

on Sonntag, 13. Juni 2004 at 15:04 you wrote to amanda-users:

AS> I have trouble upgrading from 2.6.5 to 2.6.6, I have narrowed
AS> it down by trying the different rc releases. Between 2.6.6-rc1 and
AS> 2.6.6-rc2 something happens that make my amanda backups fail
AS> with the error [bad CONNECT response].

AS> If I do nothing else than boot to 2.6.6-rc1 from rc2 it works
AS> so it seems to be somthing with the kernel that is causing the
AS> trouble, but I don't know how to investigate further.

Why do you want to use 2.6.6-rc2? You want to use 2.6.6, don't you?
Sure I only tried to narrow down it as much as I could when I reported it to the linux-kernel ml. I have the same results with 2.6.6 as with 2.6.6-rc2.

I have compiled every single kernel in the 2.6-tree for more than a
year now and tested amanda-2.4.4p2 on it. I have not experienced that
problem but would suggest comparing the kernel-configs.

Take the config of a kernel amanda works with and try to use this
config to compile a fresh 2.6.6 for start.
I have done this, I actually take the working config from 2.6.6-rc1 and copy it to 2.6.6-rc2 do "make oldconfig" answer no to any questions about new things (raw table support for iptables)

--

To me it seems that your non-working config just uses different ports
somehow which are blocked ...?

Did you compile amanda under the new kernel? Which options did you
configure it with?
Well, yes without any change in operation. Here is my configure statement:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr \
        --sysconfdir=/etc \
        --libexecdir=/usr/lib/amanda \
        --localstatedir=/var/lib \
        --disable-dependency-tracking \
        --with-user=root \
        --with-group=root

Thanks for taking your time and let me know if there's more things I can do.

/Andreas