Amanda-Users

Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda

2004-06-15 03:39:15
Subject: Re: 2.6.6-rc2 and newer cause trouble with amanda
From: Andreas Sundstrom <sunkan AT zappa DOT cx>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:29:29 +0200
Quoting Andreas Sundstrom <sunkan AT zappa DOT cx>:

> Eric Siegerman wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 10:41:14PM +0200, Andreas Sundstrom wrote:
> >
> >>         --with-user=root \
> >>         --with-group=root
> >

> > A stab in the dark here:  these settings seem a bit suspicious.
> > Normally one doesn't run Amanda as root; it's able to get root
> > privilege when it needs it (that's what the little runtar and
> > rundump programs are for).  I don't know anything about
> > 2.6-series kernels, but maybe some change snuck in that
> > interferes with Amanda trying to run as root.
> >
> > Even if that turns out not to be the source of your 2.6.6
> > problem, for security reasons I'd suggest running Amanda as some
> > other user.
>
> I'll give it a shot, I have actually ment to do that anyway, but since
> everything has worked flawlessly I didn't bother. But I guess you never
> can have to much security anyways.
>
> /Andreas

Well, now I have created a user named amanda which has default group membership
disk and is also a member of users. Then I recompiled with user=amanda,
group=disk and installed.

I had som trouble to get it working but I eventually found out that when run
with xinetd this statement is needed "groups = yes".

All went well and the backup finished successful. Then I switched to my
identically compiled 2.6.6-rc2 kernel and it fails with the same error as
earlier:
These dumps were to tape dflt10.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: dflt11.
The next new tape already labelled is: dflt12.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
  zappa.zapp /imagelib lev 1 FAILED [bad CONNECT response]
  zappa.zapp /boot lev 0 FAILED 20040615[could not connect to zappa.zappa.cx]
  zappa.zapp /home/sunkan lev 1 FAILED 20040615[could not connect to
zappa.zappa.cx]
  zappa.zapp /var lev 1 FAILED 20040615[could not connect to zappa.zappa.cx]
  zappa.zapp / lev 0 FAILED 20040615[could not connect to zappa.zappa.cx]
  zappa.zapp /home/emelie lev 0 FAILED 20040615[could not connect to
zappa.zappa.cx]
  zappa.zapp /apps lev 0 FAILED [bad CONNECT response]

So I tarred up the /tmp/amanda dir and put it at
ftp://zappa.cx/pub/amanda-zappa.cx.tar.gz if anyone wants to take a look at it.
This is the complete failed session and nothing else.

Thanks for the help and pointers so far everyone.
/Andreas