Amanda-Users

Re: Lables and Force

2004-03-24 06:58:26
Subject: Re: Lables and Force
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 06:54:17 -0500
On Wednesday 24 March 2004 03:53, Brendon Standing wrote:
>> As this is still a very common question when it comes to AMANDA
>> there is a document called TOP-TEN-QUESTIONS. It could be found in
>> the archives of this list and is already part of the AMANDA-CVS.
>>
>> I have put it up at
>> http://www.oops.co.at/oops_technical_amanda_contrib.htm until the
>> next stable release of AMANDA will be available.
>>
>> Look for the "friday-tape-question", it's the third section.
>
>Thanks, This helps and it doesn't. So you cannot force a dump? Their
>answer was no and yes, and their yes answer was about an incremental
>backup that was larger than normal.

That would probably be correct.  You gave amanda a value for the
dumpcycle, normally considered as number of days.  You also gave her
a 'runspercycle' I assume.  If 'dumpcycle' is 7, and 'runspercycle'
is 5, then amanda knows she has to schedule so that in 7 days, but
only 5 runs, she must do a full on each and every entry in the
disklist within that 7 elapsed days, with only 5 runs to do it in.
If you have a changer robot, so that amanda can use more than one
tape, it might be helpfull when you have a makeup tuesday, to let her
use a second tape by setting runtapes to 2 just for that tuesday run.

If you have holding disk space enough to hold the backup, read those
portions of the docs carefully, then it could have run on monday
normally, and you could have flushed it first thing tuesday (to the
mondays tape it was looking for) and all would be well again.

OTOH, if you have the changer, why not just go ahead and leave the
crontab entry alone & let her do a monday backup even if it was a
holiday?

The acronym for amanda is Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk
Archiver.  Note the Automatic.  If left to settle into a routine
without any interference from us, amanda will, after a couple of
dumpcycles to get things figured out, be as happy as can be.  She
doesn't take holidays off, doesn't ask for a raise or longer coffee
breaks, what more could one ask? :-)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: