Amanda-Users

Re: Lables and Force

2004-03-24 04:52:29
Subject: Re: Lables and Force
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Brendon Standing <brendons AT clubtech.co DOT za>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:49:53 +0100
Brendon Standing wrote:

"Also, how do
I force a backup, even though it expects a "labled" tape."

What do you mean? AMANDA always expects a labelled tape. It does not
use tapes without label.

I don't understand that question well enough to help you.

If you saying that AMANDA doesn't use tapes without a "label", you have
answered my question. Although why does it say: "This is not an amanda
tape. Insert tape labled "Monday" or a new tape" , when it won't back up
onto a "new" tape.

You first have to label a tape, and that label has to be unique too,
even for a new tape (new means, labeled, but not yet used to backup).

It's not a good scheme to label your tapes "Monday"-"Friday", as you
have already noticed.

But if your really, really want to do want you intend to do (skip the
monday tape), then you can lower your tapeycle by one (but keep the
real amount of tapes).
The tapecycle is the number of tapes that are "active".  If you have
a tapecycle of 4 tapes, and you have 5 tapes, than you can feed amanda
any tape of the last two tapes. Amanda will ask for the oldest one, but accepts the last-but-one too, but not one of the 4 most recently
used tapes.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I would like to see a nicer way around
doing a "forced" backup outside of ones cycle.