Amanda-Users

Re: mixed full / incremental backup...

2004-03-09 19:53:05
Subject: Re: mixed full / incremental backup...
From: Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 19:47:27 -0500
Here's a very simple solution:

1. "reserve 100" in amanda.conf (or comment out "reserve" line)
2. leave out the tape during the week (*or change dev to /no/such/tape)
3. run "amflush" before Friday backups

In this case, amanda should try to do "degraded mode" backups during the week while there is no tape, only incrementals. On Friday, you put a tape in the drive before the backups, and I think it should try to catch up on some full backups.

It probably won't give you perfect incr/full separation, but it would be good enough for me. Naturally, you will need sufficient holding disk space. You will have to keep an eye out for messages warning about "overwrite last full dump."

* do not change tapedev to /dev/null because that activates a "test mode" where amanda will happily dump all data into the bit bucket rather than decide there is no tape.

--jonathan

Jon LaBadie wrote:

What about a single config. Set it up with a long dumpcycle.

Use dumptypes that specify "always incremental", or "no-full",
or "strategy incr" or ???  I.e. something that reduces the
possibility of full dumps.