Amanda-Users

Re: client with "private" address

2004-03-09 16:55:21
Subject: Re: client with "private" address
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>, amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:53:07 -0600
--On Tuesday, March 09, 2004 14:11:29 -0500 Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT
com> wrote:

> I want to backup a client on a "private" network 10.160.32, but amanda seems
> to be looking for a DNS to resolve the IP, and then do a reverse lookup on
> the IP to get the hostname.  Is there a way to do this without setting up a
> DNS for 10.160.32?  I
> wish amanda would just believe the address that I put in disklist instead of
> double-checking with a DNS.  Does she not trust me?  Am I not trustworthy?

I suspect that Amanda was designed to use hostnames in their disklists and
.amandahosts, and names are very easy to spoof, so the lookups are done
to verify that the correct host is connecting.  I'm sure the code could be
modified to not do lookups if given an IP, but having proper DNS has many
other benefits than just helping Amanda.
   I had the same problem when I started backing up multiple sites
using a mixture of public, private, and NATed addresses.  Setting up
multiple DNS servers that could properly forward and reverse everything
(returing different addresses depending on where you were) was a bit
of a pain, but made life much easier afterwards.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673