Amanda-Users

Re: terminology help

2003-10-16 12:31:32
Subject: Re: terminology help
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Tom Brown <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>, Rohit <rohit AT genetechindia DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:42:01 -0500
--On Thursday, October 16, 2003 16:25:48 +0100 Tom Brown <tom.brown AT
goodtechnology DOT com> wrote:

>> > tapecycle 20 tapes:
>> > number of tapes to use per dumpcycle of 2 weeks. 10 tapes X 2 dumpcycles
> =
>> > 20 tapes.
>>
>> Yes, but you really should have an extra tape or two in there to lessen
>> the chance of a failed backup overwriting your last full backup.  You
>> should really consider doubling that number so you always have two copies
>> in case one should error on a restore (in which case you would lose your
>> newest data but you could at least still recover older files.).
>
> really? in my case i allways have tapecycle as dumpcycle*runspercycle
>
> is that bad?

Sorry, it was too early in the morning for me to comprehend.  I somehow
got the idea that  his tapecycle = runspercycle, completely missing the
fact he had double the runspercycle.

Having extra tapes never hurts, though.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673