Amanda-Users

Re: terminology help

2003-10-16 11:36:56
Subject: Re: terminology help
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Rohit <rohit AT genetechindia DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:49:17 -0500

--On Thursday, October 16, 2003 17:58:26 +0530 Rohit <rohit AT genetechindia
DOT com> wrote:

> This is what I understoond by the terms "dumpcycle", "runspercycle" &
> "tapecycle". Please correct me if I have misunderstood these terms.
>
> dumpcycle 2 weeks:
> Full backups of all shares will be done once in every 2
> weeks (or 10 days - excluding weekends (sat/sun))

As someone else already said, it means 'at least once' and not
necessarily just once.

> runspercycle 10:
> amdump runs 10 days a for dumpcycle of 2 weeks (or 10 days dumpcycle)

Yes.

> tapecycle 20 tapes:
> number of tapes to use per dumpcycle of 2 weeks. 10 tapes X 2 dumpcycles =
> 20 tapes.

Yes, but you really should have an extra tape or two in there to lessen
the chance of a failed backup overwriting your last full backup.  You
should really consider doubling that number so you always have two copies
in case one should error on a restore (in which case you would lose your
newest data but you could at least still recover older files.).

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673