Amanda-Users

Re: terminology help

2003-10-16 11:52:19
Subject: Re: terminology help
From: "Tom Brown" <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>
To: "Frank Smith" <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>, "Rohit" <rohit AT genetechindia DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:25:48 +0100
> > tapecycle 20 tapes:
> > number of tapes to use per dumpcycle of 2 weeks. 10 tapes X 2 dumpcycles
=
> > 20 tapes.
>
> Yes, but you really should have an extra tape or two in there to lessen
> the chance of a failed backup overwriting your last full backup.  You
> should really consider doubling that number so you always have two copies
> in case one should error on a restore (in which case you would lose your
> newest data but you could at least still recover older files.).

really? in my case i allways have tapecycle as dumpcycle*runspercycle

is that bad?

e.g ...

dumpcycle 1 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 5          # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
                        # (4 weeks * 5 amdump runs per week -- just
weekdays)
tapecycle 5 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation

or another config....

dumpcycle 2 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 10         # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
                        # (4 weeks * 5 amdump runs per week -- just
weekdays)
tapecycle 10 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation