Amanda-Users

Re: terminology help

2003-10-16 14:45:48
Subject: Re: terminology help
From: "Tom Brown" <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:48:01 +0100
> Tom,
> you don't have it as dumpcycle*runspercycle.
> In your two examples you have it as "runspercycle" period.
>
> To demostrate the problem consider the simplest situation.
> A dumpcycle of 1 day, a runspercycle of 1, and a tapecycle of 1.
>
> Each amdump uses the ONLY tape containing the last level 0's.
> Each amdump overwrites, and destroys your only level 0's.
>
> Thus, if anything happens to that tape, and particularly if
> anything happens during the amdump run, you have trashed the
> only tape containing your level 0.
>
> The same thing can happen whenever tapecycle == runspercycle.
> The tape being used by the current amdump "could" contain the
> one and only level 0 of a DLE.  If something happens to it,
> you have nothing left to restore/recover from.

Yes - I actually posted a config from a couple of test setups i created a
while ago and looking again i see it doesn't look right -

Just checking one of my configs from a production system i have..

dumpcycle 1 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 7          # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
                        # (4 weeks * 5 amdump runs per week -- just
weekdays)
tapecycle 21 tapes      # the number of tapes in rotation

which looks much better to me - i think!!

thanks

Tom