Amanda-Users

Re: Multiple Tapes in Single run issue

2003-06-25 12:26:19
Subject: Re: Multiple Tapes in Single run issue
From: "Nicholas Berry" <nikberry AT med.umich DOT edu>
To: <amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>, <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:22:02 -0400
Sorry. Must have been sleeping.

Using changers with RAIT isn't easy. Luckily I had written my own
changer program[me] to make multiple changers appear as one to
Amanda (which only understands one), and it was pretty easy to
modify that to support RAIT. It also fakes a bar code reader, so
Amanda does a search for, say, rait-2-23, and the changer
code loads the five tapes that make up the RAIT.

If anyone wants to try running multiple changers, I can send a copy
of the hack, er I mean code.

Nik

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:35:24AM -0400, Nicholas Berry wrote:
> Good point :).
>
> Another solution is RAIT. I back up to five Exabyte EXB10e units as
> RAIT.
>
> I get 20GB max. image size using 5GB tapes, and multiple tapes per
run
> too.

That's nice to hear.  It is a good use for RAIT.

You must have been a non-responder to the recent survey
as zero responders said they used RAIT.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)